Compensation for damage

You can choose whether to submit a claim for damages to Caruna or to your insurance company, depending on your insurance cover. Submit the claim within a reasonable time of the date you noticed the damage (2–3 months).

For damages to be compensated, an error must have occurred in the network service regarding either the quality or method of supply.

According to section 10.13 of the Terms of Network Service, users need to keep in mind that electricity supply is not uninterrupted. The electricity network is always exposed to meteorological and other phenomena causing interruptions.

Power cuts often cause rapid voltage fluctuations. CE-marked devices must withstand normal momentary voltage peaks during power cuts. Equipment manufacturers are required to test the devices for this before placing them on the market.

Users must take into account the operating conditions of their devices and ensure that the devices have proper electricity supply if they, for example due to the sensitivity of their devices, need electricity of a higher quality than the standard network service or uninterrupted electricity supply. The property owner is responsible for overvoltage protection in its internal network.

Get to know contract terms and conditions >

Submit a damage report 

Follow these steps:

  • Fill in the damage report form carefully.
  • Itemise the damages on the form and provide proof of them by attaching copies of receipts, expert repair estimates or opinions and clear photographs of the damages.
  • Claims processing will automatically proceed when the requested proof is attached to the damage report. Otherwise, the processing will not be completed.
  • If any food has been spoiled, please include clear and comprehensive photos in addition to the specification.
  • Submit the claim within a reasonable time of the date you noticed the damage (2–3 months).
  • Keep the damaged devices until you receive a decision on your claim.

We process damage reports on a case-by-case basis. Repair costs constitute the primary basis for compensation. If the device cannot be repaired or the repair costs exceed its current value, we can base the compensation on the purchase price of an equivalent device.

If you have any questions about compensation, our customer service will be happy to help you.

Disputes concerning compensation 

If a dispute concerning compensation cannot be resolved through negotiations between the parties, you may, as a consumer, bring the matter to the Consumer Disputes Board for resolution. However, before submitting the matter to the Consumer Disputes Board, you should contact the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority's Consumer Advisory Services.